Monday, February 24, 2014

Procrastination Recipe: Butternut Squash Wonton Ravioli

I saw a recipe a week ago for raviolis made from wontons and I thought, What a brilliant idea! Of course that recipe had beef in it so I couldn't make it. However, butternut squash has never steered me wrong, so I made up my own recipe. 

Half of a butternut squash
1-2 Tablespoons veg oil
salt & pepper to taste
1 yellow or white onion, diced
a handful of sage leaves, diced (probably about 10 leaves)
3 Tablespoons butter
1 cup ricotta cheese
1/2 cup light cream (or milk, or veg broth, depending on your health preferences)
1 package wonton wrappers

Okeydoke, so I cut up the butternut squash into chunks, tossed them in a bowl with veg oil, salt and pepper, then placed them on a cookie sheet and baked that at 350 degrees until they were semi soft. It was about 25 minutes.

Meanwhile, saute onion, sage and butter until soft. I did this while the squash was baking.

Place squash and onion/sage mixture into a food processor and pulse until the chunks are very small. Remove 1/3 of the mixture and set aside.

Pulse the remaining mixture until it is smooth. Scoop into a sauce pan, add cream and put on low heat, stirring often.

 To the mixture that's been set aside, add ricotta and stir until combined. This is the filling for the raviolis.

When working with the wontons you want to wet only two sides - below you will see I wet the top and left sides. Then place a small scoop of the mixture in the middle, fold over the corners and seal the wonton. You want to make sure it closes completely so water can't get in while boiling them.

Boil the wontons in salted water for about 3 minutes each. Spoon sauce on top and serve. I suggest also sprinkling a bit of parmesan on top for garnish. Enjoy!

Now onto the story of the how The Wonderful Molly threw chocolate fondue all over her living room and entry way. After our meal of ravioli I thought it would be nice to have an easy, no fuss dessert. Enter Molly's brand new fondue pot. Well, after we set it all up she decided to carry it into the living room so we could finish watching The Dallas Buyer's Club. I was following behind her and when she was in the living room she suddenly dropped. I was so confused/shocked/in denial that I just stood there, hands clapped over my mouth. We were both silent for a while. I think we were both in shock.

Clearly someone above was looking out for her because instead of the chocolate flying out of the pot and coating her purple couch it flew in another direction into the entry way covering the coat rack, the tile, the walls, and my jacket and purse. Which, I just inspected my purse now, and it's still covered in chocolate. I apparently did not do a good job getting it off. Awesome.

As you can see, it was a gruesome scene. After an hour of cleaning it miraculously looked like it never happened. And then, after scrounging in the pot for the residual chocolate, we laughed about it. Because how could we not? 

I would like to take a moment to thank Molly for not having a nervous breakdown. I was exhausted and in a bit of pain from snowboarding and I have no doubt that I would not have been able to function like a good friend if she'd started to cry hysterically. 

So there you have it - the chocolate massacre of 2014. 

Happy Eating!

1 comment

  1. First of all, the butternut squash raviolis were delicious. You taste the filling so much more because the wonton wrappers are thinner than a traditional pasta wrap.

    As for the chocolate massacre, I too still cannot believe this happened. I was inches from safely placing the pot on the coffee table, I had no idea what happened.

    I am so grateful you sprung into action (despite a sore back) to help clean up the coats, bags, scarves and eventually the floor and carpet too. You're a saint.

    Needless to say, the fondue pot will not be traveling to any rooms other than the kitchen any time soon.


© Design + Renovation + Staging. All rights reserved.